Christmas came early this year! Lots of great stuff inside.
December 11, 2020
The loading docks which come with the ITLA loading dock didn't feel right to me— they seemed more like truck loading doors than railcar spots:
To fix this, I raided my "personal hobby shop" and found some old DPM modular wall sections:
December 4, 2020
Used excess laser board pilaster material to beef up the areas where I have removed building posts. I was able to paint the back side of the laser board to represent a larger uninterrupted concrete span.
I also took the opportunity to "reinstall" a previously removed support, too.— again the overlay material which has laser etched joint lines is very convenient to hide that splice.
Decided to also make the commitment to glue up the most important corner so I could finish adding the trim:
Still waiting for one more shipment from Canada which will let me complete the walls. Once that is done, I can move on to creating floors and the roof.
November 25, 2020
Making final adjustments to the American Can Company build. I have a few more parts to order from ITLA, but have a footprint that fits on the shelf layout nicely.
NOTE: the "end wall" blocking the rails will be replaced with a different wall section which will allow trains to pass through that section.
Looking forward to making more progress as the holiday season continues.
November 18, 2020
It has been nearly a year since I have had any time to work on my San Francisco street track shelf layout.
What got me out of the armchair this time was a very nice new product line from ITLA (https://itlascalemodels.com/collections/industrial-wall-modules). My prior attempts was clearly stalled by a massive painting (really masking) project.
The ITLA wall sections are modular, to scale, and incredibly well engineered— there is no need to mask the them as the reinforced concrete, windows, and brick inserts are separate laser cut parts. To that end the kit is designed to be press-fit to together, and all gluing can be done from the back side.
This project also gave me a chance to play with the new line of acrylic paint from AK Interactive. I was able to dilute the finely ground paint with water and was able to wash in grout lines in the N Scale brick inserts. When I didn't dilute the paint, it was very saturated and covered nicely.